Last night My Good Man and I went to see Stella Moona, one of our alpacas. We met the shearer there, the brother of a former co-worker who knows summat bout shearing pacas. Scott did a wonderful job, and was very helpful in explaining how the process would proceed, how I should help, where to place myself, how to hold her. My Good Man did the photography.
Here she is before shearing. Sweet but kind of fluffy, not a good thing for a Suri alpaca. We are shearing her to show her for conformation. And to keep her cool for the summer. Her fleece is exceedingly fine, which is why it looks so fluffy.
While Scott buzzed off her locks, I had to hold her head. Her feet were stretched front and back to keep her and Scott from injury. At one point, Scott told me to hold her ears to stretch her neck out so the skin there would be taut. I didn't want to just grab them, but he told me they make the best handles. Ouch!
And here she is after shearing. Looks a little put out, standing there all nekked and in the altogether, eh?
Blue skies,Lark