Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Actual Conversation

Daughter (eyeing latest Vogue Knitting): Sweet!

Ten minutes pass.

Daughter (who wants everything she sees): Ooh. oooo. Mom, will you make me this sweater?

Mom: (admittedly with slight sarcasm) Want to learn to knit? (translation: do you really want it or is it just the flavor of the day?)

Daughter (insistent at side): Mom, show me some yarn. I want to knit, like right now.

Later.

Mom: This scarf will teach you the purl stitch. (She had previously only done garter stitch things). Purl starts with 'P.' That's your memory key. P means point the needle at the stitch.

[Note: This actually worked great as a way to teach her how to remember the purl stitch, and which direction to enter the LH needle stitch from.]

Daughter: Look Mom, I'm doing it. I can purl!

Progress: About 1.5 inches of K3, P3 scarf.

Sigh. It's a long way from a sweater, but hope is not lost.