Monday, October 02, 2006

A problem with lace

When you step through the doors of a yarn shop, and none of the novelty yarns catch your eye, and the wonderfully fat bulky handpaints do nothing to your pulse, but the finest yarns of all, the laceweights make your heart go pit-a-pat, you might have a problem with lace.


As you can see from my selection from Monarch Knitting and Quilts in Pacific Grove, CA, I may have a problem with lace. I couldn't resist the lichen colored Misti Alpaca. The palest of ocean blue merino laceweight seemed to whisper in my ears "make a shawl with me and whenever you wear it, you will hear the Monterey Bay." Even the pink and purple soysilk, which would seem out of place here, was made into a wonderful neck scarf that will be striking on my daring friend Jana, a red head with true style.

At the Monterey Pronk that weekend, I met the alpaca breeder who sold me the lovely creamy alpaca from two of her finest fleeces.

I think I may have a problem with lace. See, it all started by me wanting to make a simple but elegant little pair of socks for my mother. Those accomplished with lace may scoff that the simple little pattern I selected, but these socks have taught me much.

In fact, I made a huge discovery on the plane winging westward, somewhere over the Sierra Nevada I believe. I have been knitting my yarnovers incorrectly. That is, knitting into them on the next row, I was working devilishly hard to put an extra twist into each stitch. Once I discovered the error of my ways, the lace just opened up before by eyes, like the socks' eponymous butterfly, and took wing.



My heart has taken wing for lace.