Every morning, my new husband rises out of bed before me to prepare for his day. He's an early riser, someone who could have the job of waking the birds. Later, much later, I head to the shower, blind with sleep, about 5:30 a.m.
So, here's the thing: my Good Man is very meticulous about leaving me a fresh towel each morning, within reach of my hand as I open the shower door. It's not that the towel isn't there on the towel rack behind the door. It's that he places it on the hook just outside the shower for me. I just realized this week what love that shows. For him to consciously think of me, and care for me even when he is off to work in such a seemingly insignificant way is extremely humbling. You know what? The realization has me scrambling to find ways to "love" him consciously. It truly is the little things.
I think that is what many marriages today miss, and why the divorce rate is so high. Imagine if we were to look to the comfort and care of our spouses first, to expect more FROM ourselves on their behalf than we expect FROM them. I know. It's a hard concept to grasp, and popular culture doesn't want us to find it because it sells no product if we fill each other's needs at home.
I say: buck the trend. Do it for no good reason. The results might surprise you.
Blue skies!