Tuesday, September 05, 2006

My non-knitting path

Midnight (last Wednesday)No access to my blog. The switch to Beta has messed up my access and passwords were changed multiple times. Finally gave up and emailed support.

7:00 a.m. (last Thursday) Woke up to a dead laptop. Nada. Zip. Zilch. No power, no life, no blog entries, no work for the office either. So, taking care of that was important.

7:05 a.m. I unkenneled our dog, only to discover she'd had diahhrea during the night, which had caked on her lovely Sheltie backside. Having just had back surgery, hefting our big girl into the bathtub for a sitz bath wasn't really on my slate. My daughter helped and held her while I clipped the worst of it off, then she washed and rinsed and toweled the dog.



7:30 a.m. I discover that I cannot shut off the hot water, and it's pouring out in a 1/4 inch stream! Manage to find a retired friend who will come repair later in the day in return for a home-cooked dinner.

Seems like a crazy day right? Well, it was. But this morning I received news of a former co-worker who was killed in a car accident over the holiday weekend. We only met a week before she left the company a few months ago. I liked her very much, but my back surgery and recovery got in the way of spending time getting to know her better. And now, that opportunity is gone forever.

It's made me think of all the paths and opportunities that we daily choose NOT to take. Of course, not everything has such import. But it has caused me pause to wonder if I have taken the best advantage of my time here. Laraine's passing has sharpened my awareness of the gift we have in the present.

So my question for you to day is:

Are you sharing your gift?